I’m currently prepping for the mister’s birthday party which is Leaky Cauldron themed! Thus this past weekend I decided to make some Butter Beer!
After much digging on the internet I found plenty of recipes and tried out two actually. The first one was terrible and I do not recommend trying the Butter Beer Latte recipe. Finally I found another recipe but it called for single cream something you can’t really find in the states. I went with the hot butter beer instead of the iced type they serve at the park.
This is my butterbeer recipe adaption from the Elanor Isolda at The Leaky Lounge. Where I tell you how to make your own single cream basically because I found heavy cream was just way too rich for this (though still delicious with it).This is going to make you about 8 servings of butter beer.
1 Cup Skim Milk
9 Table Spoons of Heavy Cream
2 liters of cream soda
6 tbsp of butter
6 tbsp of brown sugar
10 Werther’s Original hard candies
4-8 shots of butterscotch schnapps (optional)
Butterscotch ganache or ice cream topping (optional)
- Boil the 2 liters of cream soda – yes this is weird but it starts the whole process of getting the drink hot
- Take one cup of skim milk and add 9 tablespoons of heavy cream to create single cream. This should give you 1 1/2 cups total.
- Mix butter and brown sugar in a sauce pan together. it should caramelize some and combine
- Pour butter sugar mixture in cream soda and stir until combined
- Add 1 1/2 cups of single cream
- Add 10 Werther’s and stir the mixture constantly; the wethers will slowly start to dissolve into the boiling mixture
- After the Werthers melt you can add the Butterscotch Schnapps I recommend using 8 shots.
- Top it with the whip cream which will melt and form a nice little layer of foam on the top.
- Squeeze some butterscotch ganache or ice cream topping onto the ‘foam’
- Drink up once it cools and warm your inside
Be warned this drink is CRAZY hot when you first pour it then you should let it cool off. If you want to drink it right away then I definitely recommend adding some ice cubes to let it cool off.
I have a feeling this drink will be the hit of the party!