A long time ago a wonderful podcast existed called DnA Foodcast! I discovered this amazing recipe from them and it’s become a favorite in my house. And I want to share it’s amazingness with y’all! This is a big recipe it will feed a larger family or a small family for a few meals. And let’s just say the left overs probably won’t hang around for long!
All the ingredients
- 1 pound egg noodles
- 1 pound gouda cheese
- 1 pound ground meat
- 2 onions
- 8-10 slice bacon
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 8 ounces tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 250 millileters heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
1. Preheat Oven to 400 degrees; grease a 13×9 casserole dish with butter
2. Boil water and cook egg noodles to directions on bag. After you drain the pasta run cold water over the pasta.
3. Chop up the onions and bacon then throw them into the frying pan. Cook until the onions are glassy and bacon is cooked. If needed add a little oil but bacon should provide enough fat to avoid everything sticking together.
4. Add rosemary and thyme and meat to the pan
5. Once meat is cooked through add tomato paste and water. Stir it into the meat mixture and let boil until the sauce reduces.
6. Cut up the gouda into cubes or shred it.
7. Begin layering; half the pasta on the bottom of the pan then top with half the meat mixture, half of the cubed/shredded cheese repeat one more time and the dish should be very full.
8. Pour heavy cream over top of dish and spread out butter flakes
9. Place in oven and cook for 30-35 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.