We all have our favorite cookies to eat during the holidays and many hold memories for us. For me it’s not gingerbread or sugar cookies. It’s snicker doodles. These are a cookie my mom has been making for me and my brother since we were little and they are just amazing. Some of my first memories are of me on a table covered in flour helping make cookies during the holidays when I was 3 or 4. Baking is literally in my bones and making snicker doodles is one of my favorite parts of the holidays. Now onto the recipe!
- 1 cup soft butter (2 sticks)
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ¾ cup flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar – this is in the baking aisle with spices and is a powder!
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
1. Cream butter and sugar together in mixer (or with hand mixer)
2. Add eggs and vanilla
3. Mix your dry ingredients together and whisk gently – flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt
4. Add your dry ingredients to the wet mixture (this would be your butter,sugar,eggs and vanilla).
5. Roll dough into a ball on plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. I usually go for overnight because then I know the dough is nice and solid.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
7. Prep your rolling sugar – 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons cinnamon, 2 teaspoons cardamon whisk it together in a small bowl and set aside
8. Make balls from the dough. I use a melon baller and then roll the the dough in my palm to round it out.
9. Put the dough balls into the cinnamon sugar mixture and coat them evenly in the mixture
10. Place on baking sheet and once you have your dozen bake for 8-10 minutes
11. After pulling them out let them cool and transfer to cooling rack.
You should get about 5 dozen delicious cookies that look something like this.
Now I want to know if you have memories from making cookies a kid with your parents. Also let me know if you have any holiday baking questions or cookie recipe requests!