This is one of my favorite go to dishes when I want something spicy but very flavorful to eat. It’s a pretty quick meal takes 45 minutes or so and tastes amazing left over too!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion
3 garlic cloves
2 16 oz cans Chickpeas drained and rinsed
1 cinnamon stick
1 tbsp curry powder
3 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp Salt
¼ tsp Pepper
2 cups water
Lemon and cilantro (optional)
1. Dice the onion up into smallish chunks
2. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan
3. Add onion and brown for approx 6 minutes; stirring occasionally
4. Add garlic cloves (minced or from a microplane), curry, cinnamon stick cooking for 30 seconds or until fragrant. It will smell really strongly of curry.
5. Stir and add the chickpeas, ketchup, salt, pepper and water. Bring to a boil
6. Reduce to simmer and cook covered for 20 minutes. Stirring occasionally
7. Uncover and increase heat to reduce sauce.
8. Serve with cilantro and lemon
Optional: You can also toss some chicken in while reducing the sauce to heat it up. This will make the meal stretch a little bit farther.
This meal costs next to nothing and serves approximately four people.
Adapted from a Martha Stewart Chickpea Curry recipe.